Installing WordPress on DigitalOcean could be complicated. Luckily, it can be done easily with the help of ServerPilot. ServerPilot is a cloud toolthat allows you to simplify the process of cloud server management. In other words, it allows you to quickly install PHP and and WordPress on a server such as DigitalOcean Droplet. Coming from their website:
“ServerPilot is a cloud service for hosting WordPress and other PHP websites on servers at DigitalOcean, Amazon, Google, or any other server provider. You can think of ServerPilot as a modern, centralized hosting control panel.
ServerPilot does not provide servers. Instead, we make it easy to host PHP sites on your own servers. You don’t need to know how to administer a server because ServerPilot does it for you.”
It offers some awesome features such as:
- Software Installation – ServerPilot installs all of the software your server needs, including PHP, MySQL, Nginx, and Apache.
- Firewall Configuration – ServerPilot secures your server with an iptables firewall.
- Automatic Updates – ServerPilot keeps your server’s packages updated.
- AutoSSL – ServerPilot issues and deploys free SSL certificates trusted by all browsers.
Stats and Monitoring – ServerPilot provides stats and monitoring for your servers and sites.
I really recommend that you create a ServerPilot account to help you manage your servers and your hosted websites. Now let’s see how you can use DigitalOcean and ServerPilot to Quickly and efficiently set up a WordPress Website.
Steps to Install WordPress on DigitalOcean with ServerPilot:
- Register for a DigitalOcean Account (If you don’t have one)
- Once you register and login to your account, you should create aa project. You can name your project however you like since this will not be visible anywhere. A project will be a collection of servers (droplets) that you use to host your clients’ sites.
- Once you create your project, you will need to follow the next steps to create your Server:
- As a starting point I suggest that you choose the following Options:
- Congratulations! You have now completed the creation of your Droplet the Next step is to create your ServerPilot account and connect it with your server (droplet).
- Visit https://serverpilot.io/ and create your account.
- Once you create your account and log in you should be able to connect your server. You should be able to find all needed information in the email that DigitalOcean sent you upon completion of the creation of your server.
- After you connect your server you will be able to create apps in ServerPilot. Each App is an instance of a WordPress Installation. You can use your server to host multiple websites on a server. You will need to look out for your server resources on Digital Ocean and see if the server load is normal. In the case that your server is overloaded, you will need to upgrade your server to the next tier.
- After you press Create App, your website should be ready within minutes.
- In the case that you cannot access your website, make sure that you pointed your domain A-records (DNS management) to your server’s IP. We have a dedicated article for this and you can see it here.